Monday, March 17, 2014

Just Peachy

Just Peachy

I was looking at my 21 month old yesterday.  Not just looking to ensure he's in the same room and not putting anything hazardous in his mouth, but really looking at him; studying him. His new thing is to yell 'stomp' as he stomps his feet on the floor and laughs.  When I took his stuffed lion, Simba, and made him stomp, my little ones face changed from total excitement to amazement and wonder. Simba can stomp too?! After a couple minutes of stomping, he placed Simba on a pillow and said 'nap'. How considerate this little boy is. And how good life is right now.  

Life is just peachy.  Yes, I have my everyday struggles like everybody else, but right now my life is so good.

Do I want to go through trials?  No.  Do I want to be closer to God?  Of course.  Sometimes, however, things are not so black and white. 

The bible says:

Be sober, be vigilant; because your adversary the devil walks about like a roaring lion, seeking whom he may devour. Resist him, steadfast in the faith, knowing that the same sufferings are experienced by your brotherhood in the world. 10 But may the God of all grace, who called us to His eternal glory by Christ Jesus, after you have suffered a while, perfect, establish, strengthen, and settle you. 11 To Him be the glory and the dominion forever and ever. Amen. (1 Peter 5:8-11)

Life happens.  Things don’t go as planned (our plan).  As Christians, we are not exempt from trials or suffering – we are told to expect it.  But what do most of us do as soon as we become uncomfortable in our current situation? We ask God to take this cup from us.  We run to Him right away and ask Him to make it better.  James 1:2-4 says

My brethren, count it all joy when you fall into various trials, knowing that the testing of your faith produces patience. But let patience have its perfect work, that you may be perfect and complete, lacking nothing. 

Count it all joy? But, how?  By recognizing that our joy doesn't come from our present circumstances.  By remembering that in His presence is fullness of joy.  By staying steadfast in faith – not faith in ourselves or people around us, but faith in Him.   

I don’t want to go through trials, I really don’t.  But, I do want my relationship with God to grow.  So, if I am going to call myself a Christian, I have to embrace everything that the Bible says, not just the parts that make me feel good.  And truth be told, I sometimes feel closer to God during those difficult times then when life is just peachy.

Life is good right now, and for that, I am so, so grateful.  But, I know that lion is out there.  And I can’t make any promises, but the next time life hands me something that I wasn't expecting, I am going to first try to thank God for whatever He is trying to teach me. Because that lion may be looking to devour me, but my God is so much bigger and stronger than he will ever be. 

3 comments:

  1. So true! Devil's always ready to pounce, but our God is bigger and better !!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We are totally on the same page this morning. Do you do Five Minute Friday link ups? Joy was our topic for the morning and what I wrote about as well. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Shelly - no, I don't know what Five Minute Friday is, but I think that just goes to show that the Holy Spirit is always at work!

      Delete